Industrial Accidents and Plant Explosions
Houston Industrial Accidents and Plant Explosion Lawyer
If you or a family member have been seriously injured or have sustained the loss of a loved one in an industrial plant explosion, you know how your needs and priorities can change quickly — it takes only an instant to be suddenly faced with serious injuries, mounting medical bills, loss of income and more.
Mithoff Law has decades of experience handling industrial accident and plant explosion cases. Richard Warren Mithoff and Mithoff Law have successfully handled more than several thousand cases over 50 years in nearly every area of personal injury, wrongful death and commercial litigation, including well in excess of more than several hundred cases taken to trial. Our reputation is widely known:
“Mithoff has been one of Houston’s most respected attorneys for decades, handling such high-profile cases as the aftermath of the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, Enron-related litigation on behalf of JPMorgan/Chase and highly publicized bus and plant explosions.”
–Houston Chronicle, June 26, 2019
“Mithoff, a Houston personal injury lawyer, is no stranger to winning big payoffs for large groups of people. He negotiated a $2.3 billion settlement with the tobacco industry for Harris and other counties, and he won $80 million for residents of a nursing home who were killed in a 2005 bus explosion while fleeing Hurricane Rita.”
– Houston Chronicle, November 22, 2017
If you or a family member or friend are seriously injured as the result of an industrial accident or plant explosion, you should seek out the names of one or more highly qualified trial lawyers who have successfully handled a significant number of these kinds of cases.
Your most trustworthy sources for such a referral may be a close friend, a colleague from work, a fellow parishioner from your church, or another lawyer who is a personal friend and who can give you an unbiased opinion about the best lawyer to consult.
Publicly reported verdicts and settlements, examples of which follow, reflect our approach to the trial and settlement of cases. Some of the more high-profile cases involving industrial accidents and plant explosions were the subject of extensive news coverage, which very often include examples of the kind of evidence taken into account by the juries deciding these cases.
Verdicts and settlements as reported in these multiple news sources reflect the amount of these verdicts and settlements at the time they were reported and do not necessarily reflect the amounts ultimately recovered by the parties and may not be representative of results in other similar cases.
Reported amounts will not reflect attorneys’ fees (typically up to a 40 percent contingent fee) or case expenses. Jury verdicts may have been settled pending an appeal for a lesser amount and may have been settled on a confidential basis by agreement of the parties as approved by the court.
Examples of Mithoff Law’s Prominent Cases
By choosing Mithoff Law, clients can rest assured that they’re working with one of the premier industrial explosion law firms in the country. Recipient of several prestigious awards, founder Richard Mithoff has been twice designated among Forbes Top 10 Trial Lawyers in the United States. With more than 50 years of experience to his name, Mithoff and his team — all highly acclaimed their own right — have won a number of high-profile legal cases, including:
BP to Pay Millions to Families in Blast
Accident’s Cost Hits BP’s Bottom Line
Lawsuit is Settled in Sugar Mill Blast
Families of Blast Victims Sue Plant for Negligence
Plant Blast Preventable, Probers Say: Wymon Gorden fined
Mithoff has been the subject of profiles in a number of publications, including:
- Texas Super Lawyers “Legends of the Law” (“notching hundreds of $1 million-plus personal injury and commercial verdicts and settlements;” “an uncanny ability to grasp the heart of a case and craft persuasive arguments to sway judges and juries”)
- Houston Chronicle “A Sense of Empathy” (“a sense of empathy has helped Mithoff become one of nation’s most successful trial attorneys;” “connecting with both judges and juries through his mild manner and straight-forward approach.”)
- Detroit Free Press “Liability of Silence” (“Beating big corporations with big verdicts made Richard Mithoff one of the country’s best-known product-liability attorneys.”)
- Houston Business Journal “Attorney Wins Cases for Causes in Trials by Fire” (“one of the state’s most prominent legal renegades”)
- The Texas Lawbook “Richard Mithoff: Million-Dollar Verdicts that Save Lives” (“wins the old fashion way–by out-thinking outworking and outperforming his opposition.”)
- Texas Super Lawyers “Straight Up and Unshaken” (“a master at connecting with a jury.”)
- Texas’ Best Lawyers “Richard Mithoff Fighting for an Emotionally Charged Verdict in Louisiana” (“one of the most emotionally challenging of his storied career.”)
- Lawyers Weekly USA “The Richest Small-Firm Lawyers in America” (“clients flock to Mithoff knowing he can get the job done quickly.”)
- Houston Press “Best Civil Attorney” (“legal dynamo developed his considerable skills, grace and guts under the best.”)
Mithoff has received a number of awards in recognition of his lifetime achievements, including:
- Texas Super Lawyers Top 10 in Texas
- University of Texas Distinguished Alumnus Award
- University of Texas Law School Lifetime Achievement Award
- Lifetime Excellence in Advocacy Award Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists (see tribute by Justice Tracy Christopher)
- Leon Green Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Legal Profession Texas Law Review (see tribute by former Chief Justice Tom Phillips)
- Professional Excellence Award, Lifetime Achiever — Texas Lawyer
- Lions of the Bar – The Texas Lawbook
- Champion of Justice Award – Texas Watch
- Chrys Dougherty “Good Apple Award” – Texas Appleseed
- Jurisprudence Award – Anti-Defamation League
Mithoff has been elected to fellowship in the American College of Trial Lawyers, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, the International Society of Barristers, and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
We are dedicated to achieving the very best result in your case, whether by jury verdict or settlement. Attorneys with Mithoff Law have access to the best experts available, based on over 50 years of preparing cases for trial. We know how and when to consult engineers and experts who can reconstruct the facts of your case.
We are dedicated to achieving the very best result in your case, whether by jury verdict or settlement. Attorneys with Mithoff Law have access to the best experts available, based on over 50 years of preparing cases for trial. We know how and when to consult engineers and experts who can reconstruct the facts of your case. Contact Mithoff Law for cases involving:
Plant Explosions Lawyer
Plants and refineries are essential components of the Houston economy. But with every plant explosion, Houston plant workers are left in need of answers and assistance as they work to recover and rebuild their lives. The plant explosion lawyers at Mithoff Law are here to help those victims and their families.
If you or a loved one were severely injured or killed in a chemical plant or refinery explosion, consider working with a plant explosion attorney with real experience. Call Mithoff Law today at 713-654-1122 to get your case off to the right start.
“Mithoff has been one of Houston’s most respected attorneys for decades, handling such high-profile cases as the aftermath of the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, Enron-related litigation on behalf of J.P, Morgan Chase and highly publicized bus and plant explosions.”
– Houston Chronicle, June 26, 2019
What causes chemical plant explosions?
Much like other industrial worksites, chemical plants are subject to OSHA regulations due to their high-risk nature. However, chemical plants and refineries are even more susceptible to accidents, and even the smallest of incidents can have life-long repercussions for victims and their families.
Generally speaking, negligence and human error are the most common causes of plant explosions and accidents. Regulations are in place for a reason, and when these regulations are ignored or otherwise treated with disregard, accidents can happen. Simple steps like employee training, proper supervision, and adherence to OSHA regulations can drastically reduce the likelihood of explosions and accidents.
Types of chemical plant and refinery accidents
In a chemical plant or refinery, even a small accident can have catastrophic results. From disasters that can affect entire cities to life-altering and fatal injuries, chemical plant and refinery employees face a number of significant dangers, including:
- Fires and explosions: Many of the chemicals handled by plants and refineries are highly flammable and their use comes with the risk that they may cause fires or explosions. Typically, worn, dated, or otherwise unserviced equipment is involved in chemical plant fires and explosions.
- Exposure to hazardous substances: Many of the chemicals handled at plants and refineries are completely unsafe for human exposure. Should you come into contact with a hazardous substance, the results can be catastrophic—both at the moment of contact and years after the fact.
- Slips and falls: As a fast-paced, high-stress work environment, plants and refinery employees can easily find themselves in precarious situations. But unlike a regular work environment, slipping and falling in a chemical plant or refinery can have drastic consequences beyond the physical impact of the fall—especially if the accident occurs near chemical containers or sensitive equipment.
The life-altering consequences of chemical plant accidents
Plant and refinery accidents can have big consequences both for plant employees and unsuspecting residents who happen to live in close proximity to the plant, particularly in the event of an explosion.
Due to the high flammability and highly toxic nature of the substances being handled, plant accidents have a variety of severe effects, including:
- Severe or fatal burns: Whether by contributing to a fire or through direct contact with the skin, chemicals can cause severe third-degree burns.
- Brain injuries: In some cases, direct exposure to toxic substances can permanently harm the brain in ways that cause mental disabilities that can make work or normal activity all but impossible.
- Respiratory illness: Inhaling toxic fumes due to an explosion or improper storage of harmful chemicals can result in lung impairment and illness.
- Cancers: Exposure to toxic chemicals can contribute to the development of certain cancers including lung cancer, bladder cancer, and mesothelioma.
Call Mithoff Law if you’ve been affected by a plant explosion
The plant explosion lawyers in Houston at Mithoff Law know how devastating a plant or refinery accident can be to victims and their families. We know how uncertain the future can seem in the wake of such a devastating accident and that you likely have many questions. At our firm, we strive to ease these burdens.
We offer the strategic advantage that comes with decades of experience and a small but professional team. Call a plant explosions lawyer at Mithoff Law today at 713-654-1122.