Sherie Potts Beckman’s Attorney Profile
Sherie grew-up in Houston and has spent over 30 years trying civil cases. She believes that practicing law is a calling, and that there is no greater honor than providing a voice for her clients in the courtroom.
Sherie handles cases in Houston and all over Texas, which have included medical malpractice and professional negligence, commercial disputes, catastrophic auto accidents, industrial accidents, premises liability, oil and gas, and environmental litigation.
Sherie has been annually selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America and Best Lawyers in Texas and a Texas Super Lawyer. She was also elected by her peers to the American Board of Trial Advocates. Prior to joining Mithoff Law in 2000, Sherie practiced at Vinson & Elkins, and Mayor, Day, Caldwell & Keeton.
Sherie earned her undergraduate and law degree from the University of Texas at Austin, where she was selected to be a member of the Order of the Barristers. She is on the board of Krist Samaritan Center and a past member of the legal advisory board to Children at Risk.
Lead attorney in numerous medical and hospital negligence cases tried to verdict, and successfully settled, involving personal injury, catastrophic injury, and death. For more information, please read the related article in the Beaumont Express.
Securities is part of a team currently handling multi-billion dollar securities litigation against a global corporation for alleged material misstatements.
Sherie is the lead attorney for a case involving an explosion at a co-generation facility, resulting in the death of a father and husband. Multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of clients.
Hurricane Rita Bus Fire: Negligence and product liability litigation involving multiple tragic deaths of senior living facility members in a bus fire during the Hurricane Rita evacuation.
Oil and gas
Sherie is part of a team that represents both plaintiffs and defendants in cases involving well and environmental contamination.
Sherie was a co-lead trial counsel in a case against an apartment complex for the death of a college coed at the hands of maintenance personnel at the complex.
Sherie was a co-lead trial counsel in litigation involving catastrophic burn injuries to father and daughter when a restaurant caught fire after a construction project that was non-compliant with existing building codes
Additional significant cases
- Appeals Court Rules in Favor of ConocoPhllips: A state appeals court in Houston agreed Wednesday with ConocoPhillips that Noble Energy has the responsibility of to indemnifying or reimbursing ConocoPhillips with respect to a $63 million settlement for an environmental claim for damage to an oil field in Cameron Parish, Louisiana. Handling the case for ConocoPhillips was The Mithoff Law firm — Richard Mithoff, Sherie Beckman and Warner Hocker; from Baker-Botts Tom Phillips and Macey Stokes, Ben Geslison and Omar Alanz.
- Harris County Warns Some Residents Near San Jacinto Waste Pits Not to Drink the Water: Harris County Public Health has recently sent letters to some residents who live near the San Jacinto Waste Pits warning them not to drink their tap water due to the discovery of highly toxic chemicals in local wells.
Honors, Awards and Affiliations
- Best Lawyers in America, 2011-present
- Best Lawyers in Texas, 2012-present
- AV “Preeminent” rated by Martindale-Hubbell since 2001
- Texas Super Lawyers, 2017-2021
- Top Women Attorneys in Texas, 2018
- American Board of Trial Advocates, 2003-present
- University of Texas, JD, 1988
- Order of the Barristers
- University of Texas, BA, 1985
ASTROS A foul ball, a child’s fractured skull and first overture to Astros about a settlementRead More
Litigator of the Week: Powerful Story Wins $27.7 million Judgment for Family of Man Killed in Bicycle AccidentRead More
Family of Firefighter Killed in Bike Crash Awarded $39 million in Wrongful Death SuitRead More
Fishermen, Landowners Allege Harm from Waste Pits in Suit Against Owners of San Jacinto River Superfund Site Locals With Cancer Blame Sludge Fouling San Jacinto RiverRead More
A Sense of Empathy: Noted Personal Injury Attorney is Representing Harris County in its Case Against VolkswagenRead More