Houston Commercial Litigation Lawyer
“Mithoff has been one of Houston’s most respected attorneys for decades, handling such high-profile cases as the aftermath of the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, Enron-related litigation on behalf of JPMorgan/Chase and highly publicized bus and plant explosions.”
–Houston Chronicle, June 26, 2019
“Mithoff, a Houston personal injury lawyer, is no stranger to winning big payoffs for large groups of people. He negotiated a $2.3 billion settlement with the tobacco industry for Harris and other counties, and he won $80 million for residents of a nursing home who were killed in a 2005 bus explosion while fleeing Hurricane Rita.”
– Houston Chronicle, November 22, 2017
Publicly reported verdicts and settlements, examples of which follow, reflect our approach to the trial and settlement of cases. Some of the more high-profile cases involving aviation accidents were the subject of extensive news coverage, which very often include examples of the kind of evidence taken into account by the juries deciding these cases.
Verdicts and settlements as reported in these multiple news sources reflect the amount of these verdicts and settlements at the time they were reported and do not necessarily reflect the amounts ultimately recovered by the parties and may not be representative of results in other similar cases.
Reported amounts will not reflect attorneys’ fees (typically up to a 40 percent contingent fee) or case expenses. Jury verdicts may have been settled pending an appeal for a lesser amount and may have been settled on a confidential basis by agreement of the parties as approved by the court.
Mithoff has been the subject of profiles in a number of publications, including:
- Texas Super Lawyers “Legends of the Law” (“notching hundreds of $1 million-plus personal injury and commercial verdicts and settlements;” “an uncanny ability to grasp the heart of a case and craft persuasive arguments to sway judges and juries”)
- Houston Chronicle “A Sense of Empathy” (“a sense of empathy has helped Mithoff become one of nation’s most successful trial attorneys;” “connecting with both judges and juries through his mild manner and straight-forward approach.”)
- Detroit Free Press “Liability of Silence” (“Beating big corporations with big verdicts made Richard Mithoff one of the country’s best-known product-liability attorneys.”)
- Houston Business Journal “Attorney Wins Cases for Causes in Trials by Fire” (“one of the state’s most prominent legal renegades”)
- The Texas Lawbook “Richard Mithoff: Million-Dollar Verdicts that Save Lives” (“wins the old fashion way–by out-thinking outworking and outperforming his opposition.”)
- Texas Super Lawyers “Straight Up and Unshaken” (“a master at connecting with a jury.”)
- Texas’ Best Lawyers “Richard Mithoff Fighting for an Emotionally Charged Verdict in Louisiana” (“one of the most emotionally challenging of his storied career.”)
- Lawyers Weekly USA “The Richest Small-Firm Lawyers in America” (“clients flock to Mithoff knowing he can get the job done quickly.”)
- Houston Press “Best Civil Attorney” (“legal dynamo developed his considerable skills, grace and guts under the best.”)
Mithoff has received a number of awards in recognition of his lifetime achievements, including:
- Texas Super Lawyers Top 10 in Texas
- University of Texas Distinguished Alumnus Award
- University of Texas Law School Lifetime Achievement Award
- Lifetime Excellence in Advocacy Award Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists (see tribute by Justice Tracy Christopher)
- Leon Green Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Legal Profession Texas Law Review (see tribute by former Chief Justice Tom Phillips)
- Professional Excellence Award, Lifetime Achiever — Texas Lawyer
- Lions of the Bar – The Texas Lawbook
- Champion of Justice Award – Texas Watch
- Chrys Dougherty “Good Apple Award” – Texas Appleseed
- Jurisprudence Award – Anti-Defamation League
Mithoff has been elected to fellowship in the American College of Trial Lawyers, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, the International Society of Barristers, and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
We are dedicated to achieving the very best result in your case, whether by jury verdict or settlement. Attorneys with Mithoff Law have access to the best experts available, based on over 50 years of preparing cases for trial. We know how and when to consult engineers and experts who can reconstruct the facts of your case.
Examples of Mithoff Law’s Prominent Cases
By choosing Mithoff Law, clients can rest assured that they’re working with one of the premier commercial litigation law firms in the country. Recipient of several prestigious awards, founder Richard Mithoff has been twice designated among Forbes Top 10 Trial Lawyers in the United States. With more than 50 years of experience to his name, Mithoff and his team — all highly acclaimed their own right — have won a number of high-profile legal cases, including:
Attorney Wins Cases for Causes in Trials by Fire
Conoco Wins Reimbursement for $63 million Settlement
Medical Giants Seal Rift Over Money
In naming Mr. Mithoff the “Best Civil Lawyer” in Houston in 1998 and again in 2004, the Houston Press described his courtroom style as “dazzling his opposition with pretrial maneuvers and connecting emotionally with any juror he needs,” while noting that he has “earned a reputation for honesty and forthrightness with clients, judges, and the media.”
Practicing in the area of general civil litigation, Mithoff Law has focused on personal injury and commercial litigation, including medical malpractice, products liability, aviation and admiralty cases. Mr. Mithoff and the firm have recovered more than $1 million by verdict or settlement in several hundred personal injury and commercial cases, and has successfully defended a number of clients in commercial cases involving claims of several hundred million dollars in the areas of breach of con trat, antitrust, trade secrets and patent infringement.
His diverse list of clients has included San Diego Padres owner John Moores, ConocoPhillips, Texas Heart Institute, shareholders of BP stock following the 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, singer Willie Nelson, the Berry children orphaned after a car accident which killed their parents, the family of former Houston Oilers owner Bud Adams, the family of police-shooting victim Pedro Oregon, the Democratic Party of Texas, J.P. Morgan/Chase om the Enron litigation, Momentum Operating Co. in the Texas Panhandle oil and gas dispute and the families of five men killed in the 2005 BP Texas City explosion.
“Since he started practicing in 1974, his cases have helped produce reforms in hospital credentialing of physicians and reporting of physician misconduct; prompted medical manufacturers to pull defective products off the market; led hospitals to improve their use of post-surgical intravenous solutions; and triggered a manufacturer’s recall of defective tires.”
– Super Lawyers, September 15, 2021