Houston Medical Malpractice/Birth Injury Lawyer
If you or a family member have been seriously injured or have sustained the loss of a loved one by a doctor or hospital, you know how your needs and priorities can change quickly — it takes only an instant to be suddenly faced with serious injuries, mounting medical bills, loss of income and more.
Mithoff Law has decades of experience handling medical malpractice and birth injury cases. Richard Warren Mithoff and Mithoff Law have successfully handled more than several thousand cases over 50 years in nearly every area of personal injury, wrongful death and commercial litigation, including well in excess of more than several hundred cases taken to trial. Our reputation is widely known:
“Mithoff has been one of Houston’s most respected attorneys for decades, handling such high-profile cases as the aftermath of the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, Enron-related litigation on behalf of JPMorgan/Chase and highly publicized bus and plant explosions.”
–Houston Chronicle, June 26, 2019
“Mithoff, a Houston personal injury lawyer, is no stranger to winning big payoffs for large groups of people. He negotiated a $2.3 billion settlement with the tobacco industry for Harris and other counties, and he won $80 million for residents of a nursing home who were killed in a 2005 bus explosion while fleeing Hurricane Rita.”
– Houston Chronicle, November 22, 2017
If you or a family member or friend are seriously injured as the result medical procedure, you should seek out the names of one or more highly qualified trial lawyers who have successfully handled a significant number of these kinds of cases.
Your most trustworthy sources for such a referral may be a close friend, a colleague from work, a fellow parishioner from your church, or another lawyer who is a personal friend and who can give you an unbiased opinion about the best lawyer to consult.
Publicly reported verdicts and settlements, examples of which follow, reflect our approach to the trial and settlement of cases. Some of the more high-profile cases involving medical malpractice were the subject of extensive news coverage, which very often include examples of the kind of evidence taken into account by the juries deciding these cases.
Verdicts and settlements as reported in these multiple news sources reflect the amount of these verdicts and settlements at the time they were reported and do not necessarily reflect the amounts ultimately recovered by the parties and may not be representative of results in other similar cases.
Reported amounts will not reflect attorneys’ fees (typically up to a 40 percent contingent fee) or case expenses. Jury verdicts may have been settled pending an appeal for a lesser amount and may have been settled on a confidential basis by agreement of the parties as approved by the court.
Examples of Mithoff Law’s Prominent Cases
By choosing Mithoff Law, clients can rest assured that they’re working with one of the premier medical malpractice law firms in the country. Recipient of several prestigious awards, founder Richard Mithoff has been twice designated Forbes Top 10 Trial Lawyer in the United States. With more than 50 years of experience to his name, Mithoff and his team — all highly acclaimed their own right — have won a number of high-profile legal cases, including:
Mithoff’s Medical Malpractice Magic
Romero Case – Jury Verdict for Botched Surgery
Lawyer Fights for Newborns — In Court and With Endowment
Verdict May Change Hospital Immunity Standard
Hospital Settles Suit; Promises Tough Stance on Drug-testing Policy
Brain Injury at Birth Settlement in Pasadena
Mithoff has been the subject of profiles in a number of publications, including:
- Texas Super Lawyers “Legends of the Law” (“notching hundreds of $1 million-plus personal injury and commercial verdicts and settlements;” “an uncanny ability to grasp the heart of a case and craft persuasive arguments to sway judges and juries”)
- Houston Chronicle “A Sense of Empathy” (“a sense of empathy has helped Mithoff become one of nation’s most successful trial attorneys;” “connecting with both judges and juries through his mild manner and straight-forward approach.”)
- Detroit Free Press “Liability of Silence” (“Beating big corporations with big verdicts made Richard Mithoff one of the country’s best-known product-liability attorneys.”)
- Houston Business Journal “Attorney Wins Cases for Causes in Trials by Fire” (“one of the state’s most prominent legal renegades”)
- The Texas Lawbook “Richard Mithoff: Million-Dollar Verdicts that Save Lives” (“wins the old fashion way–by out-thinking outworking and outperforming his opposition.”)
- Texas Super Lawyers “Straight Up and Unshaken” (“a master at connecting with a jury.”)
- Texas’ Best Lawyers “Richard Mithoff Fighting for an Emotionally Charged Verdict in Louisiana” (“one of the most emotionally challenging of his storied career.”)
- Lawyers Weekly USA “The Richest Small-Firm Lawyers in America” (“clients flock to Mithoff knowing he can get the job done quickly.”)
- Houston Press “Best Civil Attorney” (“legal dynamo developed his considerable skills, grace and guts under the best.”)
Mithoff has received a number of awards in recognition of his lifetime achievements, including:
- Texas Super Lawyers Top 10 in Texas
- University of Texas Distinguished Alumnus Award
- University of Texas Law School Lifetime Achievement Award
- Lifetime Excellence in Advocacy Award Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists (see tribute by Justice Tracy Christopher)
- Leon Green Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Legal Profession Texas Law Review (see tribute by former Chief Justice Tom Phillips)
- Professional Excellence Award, Lifetime Achiever — Texas Lawyer
- Lions of the Bar – The Texas Lawbook
- Champion of Justice Award – Texas Watch
- Chrys Dougherty “Good Apple Award” – Texas Appleseed
- Jurisprudence Award – Anti-Defamation League
Mithoff has been elected to fellowship in the American College of Trial Lawyers, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, the International Society of Barristers, and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
We are dedicated to achieving the very best result in your case, whether by jury verdict or settlement. Attorneys with Mithoff Law have access to the best experts available, based on over 50 years of preparing cases for trial. We know how and when to consult engineers and experts who can reconstruct the facts of your case.
A Sense of Empathy: Noted Personal Injury Attorney is Representing Harris County in its Case Against Volkswagen
August 7, 2016Read More
Med Mal in Texas: Time to Tweak the Reforms? Plaintiff and Defense Lawyers Both See Room for Modifications
June 1, 2016Read More
Families sue doctor, weight loss program / 1 dead, 3 ailing after stomach stapling
August 15, 2002Read More